Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Day job

"Excuse me, are you a really bad singer, or a really bad actor?" -- From Letterman's "Top ten ways to annoy your waiter", 1/13/95

Go to a trendy restaurant in the greater Los Angeles area and chances are you've got an actor for a waiter. It's the day job-of-choice for four reasons: (1) flexibility (to attend auditions, etc.), (2) pay (umm...15-20% cash off every check? cash!?), (3) the chance of being 'noticed' by someone with power (as opposed to the other 98% of the people that come through), and (4) instant, attractive friends of the opposite sex that can be found among the rest of the restaurant/bar staff. Four very, very compelling reasons. Particularly that last one.

But if I were to be a waiter, I'd get fired on my first day, likely for the "are you f'n kidding me?" type comments that I'd express to my colleagues after dealing with the obnoxious out-of-work director at table #4. Mad respect to those in the service industry. It's just not for me.

After spending time on craigslist and considering everything from "mystery shopping" to canvasing/telemarketing for select non-profit to just spending less (ha!), I've decided to try and find a gig tutoring or teaching.

The good: The first two reasons for waitering apply, and a solid third is that I'd get to start problem solving again (I was considering taking an advanced math class at SMC to challenge myself, but doing so would likley require an explanation...see?...even you think I'm crazy...).

The bad: The last reason for waitering doesn't apply.

So, step 1...figure out what SAT stands for again....
----
Quick side note about this blog.

Yesterday evening when chatting with my mom, I asked what she thought about the blog, and if she liked the 'shout-outs' to her as the only person reading. Her reply? "What is a blog?"

Brutal mom. Brutal.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shripriya said...

Sundeep, you can now count one more reader of your blog. Also, I would rethink the tag line you currently have " "Sundeep Ahuja...tastes great, less filling." Just think about it for a minute ;)

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home