Friday, August 12, 2005

Headshots

Ahhh...the headshot. Critical. Vital. Narcissistic.

When I first got headshots taken a couple of years ago, I conducted a fair amount of research (websites, references, etc.), and finally met with four photographers. Of the four, I ended up going with the one that I vibed with the most; the one that could most help (and let) me be honest in front of the camera. The photos turned out pretty good, but times have changed (these days, color is in and B&W is out), and so has my hair (thankfully most of it is still there). So, I needed new ones.

But before going through the above routine again, this time I decided to first see what a few friends of mine who dabble in photography could do--headshots can cost from $200-$600, and my friends would be, umm...doing me a favor :)

Don't get me wrong, there are some fabulous photographers out there worth the money, but I really feel that headshot photos--where it's all about the emotion exuded by a 2D picture--are more about the actor. I mean, for a 3D moment to be captured by a 2D medium the actor has to feel entirely comfortable. And where better to feel honest and comfortable than in the company of friends? (Above paragraph can also be read: "hey, I'm just tryin to save $400").

Last night, I got pictures back from one of the friends I shot with last weekend, and damn. Not bad. And they only cost me a $51 bar tab.

1 Comments:

Blogger Seema said...

Deeeaaaaaamn... How come you never looked that good when we lived/worked together?? ;-)
Miss you around here, but I'm happy to see that you've found some time away from pimpin' to write something worth reading.

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home