Tuesday, August 02, 2005

"Soft push"

I recently heard the phrase "soft push", and dug it (stop snickering...it's not what you think). Everyday, do something that pushes you in the direction of your goal. It can kinda sorta MAYBE be overwhelming starting out as an actor in LA, and I've met more than a few people who got distracted (something about having to make money) or burnt out (though, if you are never a 'star', can you really 'burn out'?).

Today my "soft push" was lunch with Raj Raghavan, who is on the agent track at CAA, arguably the top talent agency in LA. His advice? "Don't waste time having lunch with anyone on the agent track at CAA." If I'm looking for an agent, I need to talk with other actors at or above my level of experience who have agents. SO. Anyone reading this have an agent? I'll buy....

I also spoke with an acquaintance at Groundlings, one of the top improv schools in LA, who advised me to think through my desire to audition for the entry level class (Level I). He's been taking the "Fun Shop" class there, and recommended it as a great way to introduce myself to the school. It's cheaper, more kick back, and will better position me to rock the audition when I'm ready. Oh, and I still get to put "Groundlings" on my resume. BRILLIANT!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home