Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Training

For the past month I've been researching acting classes (or "actor's training programs" for the more sophisticated) in LA. Below is a list of the bigger ones I checked out, and quick thoughts on each. Please note that (1) this is by no means an exahaustive list, and (2) these are my opinions (so please, no hate mail or law suits).

- Howard Fine studio: Audited the Masters class, and dug it. Mr. Fine is professional, funny, and knows what he's doing. I'm now enrolled in the "Comprehensive Technique" class which is taught by Howard himself (one of the main reasons I enrolled).
- Larry Moss studio: After attending the information session, I took the required two day scene study class taught by Michelle Danner and liked it. Though way overpriced at $195 for two days (and class starting 30 minutes late each day didn't help), I felt like Michelle knew how to "take us there". Decided against them only because I was more impressed by Howard.
- Beverly Hill Playhouse: The interview went well and I left excited about their approach, which--as described--balances the business and the art. However I met faar too many people that pooh pooh'd the Playhouse for various reasons. I may yet enroll at a later date though...just need to get more G2.
- Playhouse West: Audited the beginner's class, and did not like it--but only because I've already done Meisner and didn't want to start over. The students I met after class raved about it, so if you're just starting training it's worth checking out.
- DW Brown / Joanne Baron: Interviewed and it sounded interesting, but like Playhouse West I felt I was going to be repeating training I've already had and wanted to try something new. A friend of mine recently graduated from their two year program and loved it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home