Monday, August 22, 2005

Ahh, the ugly side of Hollywood...

Hollywood has some not-so-nice people. I was lucky enough to come across one of them last week.

I mentioned earlier that I audited/interviewed with several acting studios before deciding to go with Howard Fine (not super impressed so far, by the way...more later). I learned about one of the studios through a friend of mine, and when I mentioned his name at the interview, I was happy to see it work it my favor--so much so that a few days after the interview one of the owners of the studio left me a voicemail encouraging me to join.

I was impressed, and wasn't sure how much of it had to do with my friend (I mean he's good, but that good?), and how much of it had to do with my wallet (a studio, afterall, is still a business). I didn't return the phonecall (I mean, she owns the studio...it was clearly a courtesy call).

A week later, on a Saturday afternoon, I received a second phonecall from the studio owner.

First I was floored. The lady was talking all about all the talented actors that went through her school--an impressive list--and then about how much I would get from the school.

But then I was confused. I mean, why does she care about me? Who am I to get two phonecalls from the head of a studio? I wrote it off to good salesmanship on her part, and left it at that. The following week I left a message with the studio (note: not with her, but the administrative contact at the studio) about my intention to join Howard's class.

The next day, I receive a third phone call from the lady. And what began as a nice "you really should study here" became a "well, don't come back later because we won't let you in" and finally ended with a "I swear that you won't make it...I mean, you're not smart enough to do the right thing."

Umm...excuse me??

Yeah, now I totally want to join your studio.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right Hollywood can does have some crazies. I signed up with Now Casting and Xluse and I did get some job too. Good luck.

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home