Tuesday, November 08, 2005

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Struggling actor types don't get much of it.
And it kinda bums me out.

I was out on Saturday night and met a fellow desi (Indian American) dude (male). We were chatting amicably about this or that, and then the "what do you do" question came up. I replied that I was an actor, and awaited the usual "wow...cool" response (sometimes genuine, and sometimes dismissive, but always polite). Instead the bitachara (%@@!^) started laughing.

"You're an actor? Really. Have you been in anything?" I held my calm and replied that I was just recently full time and had done some independent film work. He continued his laughing. "Wow...I mean doctor, lawyer...those I could see...but actor? What are you doing?" His tone was condescending, but it was his LAUGH that killed me. And so I snapped, and went into how I did this and that and if he thinks he's in any way shape or form yada yada yada.

Finally, I had to walk away for fear of hitting the (smaller) guy.

Actors don't get enough respect. Probably because they have a reputation for being superficial pretty types that just like to party. They are seen as "wasting" their time/life. They aren't very smart, they aren't very capable, and they are foolish enough to think they can "make it". Well, I've met those types, and yes--there are a lot of them (some freaks and wierdos up in there too...for real).

But let me tell you: acting is hard. Those that bubble to the top and give us our most dramatic or comedic or otherwise genius performances are just that--genius. And though many starting out are just attracted to the fame/fortune and in fact are "no talent a** clowns" with no right to call themselves actors, there are others who are as passionate about acting as any "professional" is about his/her job or work.

Anyways, this is my defensive blog post. Yes, at times I feel like I'm wasting my potential. But other times, I feel like I'm maximizing it. The only thing I can say with certainty is that I've been full-time here less than 4 months, and I am trying to shape this experience to be the best and most enjoyable learning experience it can be--and I think that's what most of us do no matter where we are.

So. Give actors a little RESPECT. Particularly those that might hit you if you don't.

1 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

A late night host once commented to Scarlett Johanssen that she seemed to come out of "no where." She looked at him in disbelief. She said she'd been in the business for ten years, and then quipped, "it takes 10 years to become an overnight success in this town."

Do you know Jack Nicholson's story? Another great one about a guy who worked hard, for a long time before he got a break.

I have a lot of friends who are struggling actors, and you're right, it is HARD. With little or no pay off. My friend John jokes that the reason actors evenutally make so much is to make up for all the time they spent working for nothing trying to get a job.

I have other friends who were living with a roomate in an apartment one day, and a mansion in Beverly Hills the next... one good gig.

Don't listen to the people who don't understand. Listen to the one's who can teach you and make you better at your craft. Enjoy the journey. That way, if you don't make it, you still lived.

-Julia

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home