Monday, October 24, 2005

Quest for the Code

"'QUEST FOR THE CODE' (HEREAFTER, QFTC) IS A DOCUMENTARY FILM PROJECT THAT WILL INVESTIGATE DAN BROWN’S BOOK, THE DA VINCI CODE. THE QFTC PARTICIPANTS WILL BE SENT ON AN INTERNATIONAL TRIP, WITH VISITS INCLUDING FRANCE, ITALY, ISRAEL, AND EGYPT...."

So, my first reaction was "WOW. That sounds awesome. May as well apply". One long application, a fun 5 min video in which I tried to get kicked off the grounds of a Morman church (not really, but kinda), and a $36 FedEx overnight charge later, my reaction is "WOW...THAT SOUNDS AWESOME!"--because I got it.

All expenses paid, with a per diem and a stipend.

Are.
You.
Kidding me??

Problem is, now I'm not sure I want to go. I know...what am I thinking? Life experience wise, it'd be a phenomal once-in-a-lifetime kind of experience. And if I were still working at eBay I'd be packing by now. BUT, I have to look at this through the acting lens and ask myself--"is it worth the opportunity cost?" Thing is, I'm not sure.

I've been chatting with friends in the business to get their perspectives, and they are fairly split. The general consensus is that few people make the jump from documentaries/reality TV into acting. The way I see it (acting wise):

Upside--extended time in front of cameras, potential for great exposure in a few months time (especially with the movie coming out)
Downside--I lose three critical weeks I could spend trying to find an agent (which is key for Pilot season in January), going to auditions, and generally moving my acting career forward here in LA.

At this point, I'd like to open it up for comments, cause I'm @#$@ torn!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think you should def. go! ~nkg.

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"As the traveler who has once been from home is wiser than he who has never left his own doorstep, so a knowledge of one [or more] other culture[s] should sharpen our ability to scrutinize more steadily, [to understand concepts more profoundly, to convey dialogue more sensitively, to perform more intensely...] to appreciate more lovingly, our own. [Sundeep, you're going.]" -Margaret Mead, and

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home