Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Offers for representation (!), with more mtgs on the way (!)

Today, I got verbal offers from two agencies (one theatrical, which is film & TV, and one commercial).

BOOO-YAHH!!

"But how did you even get meetings" you may ask?

Wellll....I did a couple of things :)

THING THE FIRST
Made a (great) impression in my Commercial Auditioning class. Not only did I get a reference from the teaching team to (and an upcoming meeting with) a top Commercial agent, I also got this cool quote (used in the referral email to the agent) which I'll be adding to my website: "a very good actor and sexy enough to be the next James Bond. His sexyness sneaks up on you."

THING THE SECOND
One of the websites I use to submit myself for auditions, NowCasting, allows agencies to list types that they are seeking, and then allows actors who fit those types to submit to those agencies. I happened to fit the bill at one, submitted electronically, and got a meeting! It took place last week; we'll see what comes of it....

THING THE THIRD
A couple of weeks ago I did a postcard mailing, but unlike my first one which was too information-y (read: boring), I went with a bullet point marketing approach:

"Hey! I'm looking for new theatrical representation--but who isn't? Well, here are the top 5 reasons to meet with me:

1) Training - over two years (currently at the Howard Fine Studio)
2) Reel - available at sundeepahuja.com
3) Versatile - My 'look' spans everything from Latin to Italian, and I plan to change my stage name to match
4) Driven - I'm a Stanford grad who has worked in finance and technology (in other words, I know business, hard work, and what it takes to succeed)
5) SAG - I'm eligible to join

Plus, I have new (color) headshots on the way. I look forward to reading for you!
- Sundeep"


And from the 50-odd postcards that I sent out I so far have scheduled two meetings, one of which took place today and resulted in a verbal offer.

THING THE FOURTH
I've been lucky enough to have a couple of actor friends of mine refer me to their agents. This so far has resulted in one upcoming meeting....

THING THE FIFTH
I prayed. And showered daily.

Now, nothing is signed or certain, but I got good vibes during the meetings and really think that were I to decide to get on board, the offers would be in writing. Will keep ya posted....

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the great news man!!

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yahhh baby!!! Awesome news. Question- what would your Italian screen name be - Sunny Ahujiani?

12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My man!!! Your sexiness sneaked up on me the first day of freshman year. =) Awesome news; it must be a great high after some recent ups and downs.

Re: the stage name. I thought Ben Kingsley (Krishna Banerjee) did an interesting thing by inverting his initials and making it as non-threatenting as possible. So maybe think up some WASPy names with A.S. (Andrew Sinclair? Alex St. John? I see the guest spot on the OC already). Anyway, I think a full nom de plume is better than bastardizing your real name (no offense to Kal Penn). My two.
-AM

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home